Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The Crash - Continued

My hospital family was really amazing that night.  Those who knew Andrew gathered and recounted stories and memories.  Though we were all in shock we were also all sharing through tears and laughter.  I learned Andrew had brought breakfast for his crew that morning and had been really in a good mood that day.  Normally Andrew was out the door as soon as his shift was over because that meant three things:

  1. He would get to ride his motorcycle
  2. He would get to play with Zeus (his husky)
  3. He would get to play his beloved video games
Because he was always in such a rush to get to the things he loved, he rarely said goodbye, just simply clocked out.  But that day, he went around and said goodbye to everyone, as though God was guiding him and those left behind were going to need that closure and the memory of his smiling face.

As the afternoon turned into night, Jay Dennard, arranged to have Andrew's body moved to the PACU, which was closed for the day, so we could continue to receive family and friends for as long as we wanted.  I wish I could remember everyone who came to comfort us, but I am certain I would forget some.  I do remember many of Matt's fraternity brothers showing up, one of them with Chick-Fil-A for everyone.

I was in and out of the room Andrew was in, as was Natalia, Matt, my sisters Sara and Carey, my dad, my aunts, uncles, and cousins.  I got Andrew's helmet and the clothes they had cut off of him.  His helmet was badly damaged but it did it's job.  Although Andrew some facial trauma (lacerations around his forehead and deep cuts on his mouth and chin area) his actual head looked perfectly fine.  He had no visible skull injuries.  He was in fact still as handsome as ever and looked completely peaceful as though he was in a deep sleep.

Curiosity caused me to pull his gown down around his shoulders to see what injuries he had.  He had bruising on his shoulders and some cuts and scrapes there as well, but to my surprise he also had a tattoo I did not know about.  Natalia told he got if after Spring Break 2014.  We had been in Panama City and they had rented scooters and decided on henna tattoos just for fun.  As they left it began raining and the rain really screwed up Andrew's henna.  He was so mad.  It completely ruined the vacation for him.  So when he got back to Georgia - he got the same tattoo - only permanent one this time.  Apparently he was too afraid to tell me as he thought it would disappoint me.  

We finally let the medical examiner come and get Andrew just after 10:30 that night and headed home.  I was completely overwhelmed with grief and humbled by the outpouring of love of support shown to us by so many at the hospital.  I don't think I can ever truly express my gratitude for all who supported us during that time, but I will always remember how truly wonderful they were.

Many thanks to Gwinnett Medical Center in Lawrenceville.

No comments:

Post a Comment