Thursday, May 19, 2016

Returning to Work

I went back to work a couple of weeks A.D. (after Andrew's Death) and the people were remarkable.  The ones I work with every day gave me space when I needed it, hugs when they needed it, and gentle comments like, "I'm glad you're back," and "Nice to see you."  For the record, those are wonderful things to say to someone who is grieving.

Here are two things you should avoid saying:

"I'm glad <insert name> was baptized so they could go to Heaven."  Check your bible - baptism is a symbolic act representing the cleansing of sin by Jesus' death and resurrection - not a ticket to Heaven.  It is the belief in that death and resurrection of Jesus that gives you entry to Heaven.

"Getting back to work will be a good distraction."  What?  No it won't.  When I say nothing, I do mean NOTHING will distract the grief.  It is a process and everyone handles it differently.  In my case I worked with Andrew so if anything, work is a constant reminder of him.  Thoughts of him are always there, even if in the background.  It.Is.Always.There.

For the most part everyone has been fantastic, even if I am sad, grumpy, or irrational.  I have so many good stories to get too but had to post those for advice on what not to say to those who grieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment