Friday, August 12, 2016

Birth Month - Day 12

As with most boys and sports, or boys who have the same first name, it is common for them to be called by their last name.  Matt was always Carson when he started sports. Andrew didn't really start getting called Carson until high school.  When Matt started dating his girlfriend, Alexandra (Alex for short), her family referred to him as Carson. Alex has a younger sister, Mackenzie (Mack for short).  Mack loved her some Carson and I think she felt like he was her boyfriend as much as he was Alex's.

Andrew and I were invited to attend fireworks with Alex's family for July 4th in 2013.  Mack was 3 or 4 then.  When we got to their house and introductions took place, Andrew was introduced as Carson.  Mack didn't understand how this could happen, but was completely enchanted by Andrew.  It was probably his beautiful blue eyes.  Mack ditched Matt and adopted Andrew as her boyfriend and naturally, Andrew was happy to indulge her as it meant he was favored over Matt.  Remember, they are both super competitive (no idea where they get it)!

Anyway, Mack spent the evening hanging with Andrew and it was then I thought he would make a good dad.  Until that night, I hadn't witnessed Andrew engage with little kids and enjoy it.  He just kind of stood in the background and admired them from afar.  But with Mack he let her sit in his lap, play on his phone, and talk his ear off.  He had patience and made sure she was safe.  He would have made a good dad. I'm sad I'll never hold his child in my arms, but I'm grateful to have this memory of how he could have been as a dad one day.  Stupid motorcycle.


2 comments:

  1. I was in tears and then the stupid motorcycle part made me chuckle. I can hear you say stupid motorcycle. Love you lori.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure wanted to get that stupid motorcycle on the track with us......

    ReplyDelete