Sunday, August 21, 2016

Birth Month - Day 21

I haven't yet posted about my trip to London and Paris (to see my brother, sister-in-law, and nephew) back in May because it was so incredibly special that I wasn't sure I could do it justice. After a particularly rough day I called my brother to just cry and he listened.  He was driving and he pulled over to let me just unload on him.  He said he would pay to fly me over if I wanted to come spend some time with them.  I had not even thought about going, as I didn't think I wanted to be away, but the trip, with the surprise addition of Paris (a gift from my sister-in-law as an early birthday present) was exactly what I needed.  My brother asked me to bring some of Andrew's ashes to place in their garden.  You see, when my mom died, they put some of her ashes in their garden with a Dogwood tree and they did it again when Caitriona's father passed away (he has a different tree but I cannot remember what it is).  I was honored they wanted to do this with some of Andrew's ashes as well.  The timing worked out perfectly as we planted Andrew's tree, another Dogwood, on Memorial Day.  It was such a thoughtful thing for them to do and it still brings tears to my eyes when I recall how I felt that day and when I see the tree now via pictures.

My mom died in 2008 and here was the Dogwood tree first planted with her ashes in their garden.


And here is her tree now, you can see it has really filled out and the garden has been transformed into an unbelievably tranquil place.


And here is Chris digging the hole for Andrew's tree, which we all decided should be placed near my mom's tree, the ashes going in, and then both trees side by side.




Chris told me that a few days after I had left to come home, our mom's tree started blooming and he was certain she had waited for Andrew to get there to show off her blossoms.

Then, just a few weeks ago, Caitriona sent me the picture below, of how both trees look now.  My mom's tree really has blossomed and Andrew's tree is looking good as well.


I'm certain I can never fully express how grateful I was and still am to them for letting me visit, making the trip so memorable, and honoring Andrew in such a beautiful way.  I have certainly been blessed with amazing siblings, who have done a great job in creating amazing families of their own! Thank you Chris, Caitriona, and Harry, I love you!



1 comment: