Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Birth Month - Day 2

In remembering the many wonderful things about Andrew, I often think about some of the truly thoughtful things he did.  He was not much for sentiment or verbal accolades, he was a quite soul and a deep thinker.  When he was a junior he and Natalia did not attend prom, as her culture considered it a senior rite of passage, not one for a junior.  So in their senior year it was a no brainer they would go together as they had been dating since their junior year began.  That said, Natalia still insisted Andrew ask her properly.  Andrew wanted to make sure it was a memorable and special invitation for her, so he devised a plan.  A friend of mine at the time had her nephew print up signs, one word on each sheet of paper, "Natalia, will you go to prom with me?"

He decided he would hang them in the carport, while I took her out shopping or something, and then when we came home he would be waiting outside and she would see the signs.  Once he got the signs hung he called to let me know and that I should give him a heads up when we were just a few minutes away.  So I casually called him, pretending it was someone else, to let him know we'd be home in a few minutes.  We pulled into the driveway, and I stopped, turned on my high beams, and told her to look.  There was Andrew, beneath the signs, holding roses.  She squealed, jumped out of the car, and ran into his arms with a resounding yes!  I was able to capture the moment with a grainy photo from the car, but it was such a sweet moment. I stayed in the car until they went inside.


Now continuing in his very thoughtful way, when he went to pick up Natalia, he also had a corsage for her younger sister, Aneilia.  I don't know many other teenagers who would do that.  She was very excited as he put it on her.


Then of course we had pictures in the yard (the best one is below) and the standard picture from the dance.  I hope they had a great time, like I said, Andrew never really talked about personal things very often, he was intensely private. He'd probably hate this post. But I love that he had such a kind heart and wanted to make others feel special.  He was truly a wonderful soul.




1 comment: