Sunday, August 14, 2016

Birth Month - Day 14

I love friendships that stand the test of time.  The kind where you can not talk to someone for years but pick right back up where you left off.  Those where you forget which stories you've shared but never mind hearing them retold even if you have.  One of those friends for me is Tami Moore.  She and I have been friends since Andrew was two.  She also has two sons, Keith and Christopher.  Christopher and Matt are the same age.  Keith is older but was a wonderful buddy for Andrew as Chris and Matt played basketball.  They all attended the same after school program at church, and since Tami and I were both single moms, we spent much time swapping kids to get a break.  As the boys grew up we saw each other less but always remained close friends.  Tami is just like a second mom to Andrew and has probably cried as much as I have these past few months.  Her birthday is also this month just a few days before Andrew's and she knows I'm struggling as Andrew's birthday nears.

We decided to meet up for lunch today and I suggested J. Christopher's.  This restaurant has been a long time favorite of my families and was the first place Andrew ever worked.  He got the job through his friend Brandon Radman.  They worked there together through their senior year and summer before heading off to college.  As I was waiting for our table, Brandon saw me and came over to give me a big hug and ask how I was doing.  What a sweet and kind young man, to remember me, to care enough to hug my neck and to talk to me.  We ended up sitting in his section and having great service.  Brandon told me he was now at UGA, had just finished up his summer classes and had a year and half to go until graduation.  I am so proud for him.  He was a good friend to Andrew and I remember dropping off and picking up Andrew many times from Brandon's house.

J. Christopher's was a good first job for Andrew.  It taught him about getting up early on the weekends, cleaning up after other people, being part of a team known for good service, and he ended up learning to make a great omelette.  Natalia and I were happy with his new found cooking skills.  He eventually left that job to join the hospital but they were good to him.  One of the things I really liked that they did was list their high school graduates on the menus each spring.  That meant every person coming to the restaurant knew they employed high school students and those students had plans beyond high school.  When it was Andrew's time, I made sure to snap a photo of the menu, which also included Brandon.  Congratulations to those kids and thanks to J. Christopher's for recognizing them.  Good Luck to Brandon as he continues his college journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment